Food labeling requirements in the U.S. are complex, and you need to stay ahead of the curve as they continue to be redefined. This course will provide you with the foundational and practical knowledge you need to comply with new and established labeling laws and regulations. Instructors will also cover emerging issues in regulation and labeling to help regulation professionals and product developers reformulate and react to marketplace drivers such as clean/clear labeling, corporate social responsibility, and responsible sourcing they need to understand the regulatory implications.
- Understand the specific labeling requirements of both the FDA and USDA
- Identify which mandatory information must appear on the label of your food product, and which voluntary statements may be made. Discussions include ingredient statements, nutrition labeling requirements, nutrient content claims, health claims and structure/function claims
- Become familiar with legal references for labeling requirements
- Understand label statements that contribute to food safety and promote health and wellness
- Basic/Mandatory Labeling Requirements for FDA and USDA
- Ingredient Statements (including allergens) for FDA and USDA
- Ingredient workshop
- Flavor labeling
- Nutrition labeling
- Health Claims, Nutrient Content Claims, Structure – Function Claims
- Claims Workshop
- Marketing Claims
- Hot topics
IFT FIRST Short Courses – 2 Formats, same content – Choose the learning option that works for you:
- In-person/Hybrid Option: Join us July 10 for a 1-day exclusive in-person course with instructors and networking opportunities prior to the IFT FIRST Event and Expo in Chicago.
You will be able to discuss course content and engage in hands-on activities with instructors and fellow course participants. You will also receive access to on-demand presentations and a discussion board to connect with instructors and fellow attendees. Virtual office hours will be available for an interactive review of course content, starting two weeks after the course begins.
Register for In-person/Hybrid Option
- Digital-Only Option: You will receive access to on-demand presentations and a discussion board to connect with instructors and fellow attendees. Virtual office hours will be available for an interactive review of course content, starting two weeks after the course begins.
Register for Digital-Only
Other IFT FIRST Short Courses
CFS Preparatory Course
Optional “crash course” in all eight content areas covered on the Certified Food Scientist exam. Learn more.
Food Science for the Non-Food Scientist
One of IFT’s most popular courses will help you better understand and communicate with your technical teams and customers. Learn more.